PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2020, 08:14
longer ron

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY
The Stumps went to Halton. SL 574 still has the three marks on the wing, Bromley is built up and Maguire was low. His arrival did little damage to the airframe (it was on its wheels the next day) but the prop was shattered.There is a wonderful image of the ongoing cricket match going on after lunch with 574 on its belly near the boundary. Peter Arnold had some great shots. There was quite a debate on whether the stumps could have caused dents in the leading edge of the wing and it got quite heated. Considering they would have been impacted at about 50 mph, and images were produced that showed the repairs in progress the 'non believers' as I described them would not have it, got even more annoyed when I suggested a test with someone hitting them on their head with a suitable stump and then asking them if it hurt (when they woke up that is)
I fondly remember that thread on the much lamented Key Aero Forum,I was on the side that viewed the 'stump marks' as being a little too neat and suspected that the marks were more akin to 'Service Humour' but I certainly would not get 'heated' about it - it was a wonderful story .
There were indeed some lovely pics on that thread.