PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Flap3 landing to save fuel
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2020, 21:42
1201alarm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F3 or Full is judgement of the crew where I fly the A320. Following things to consider:

Pro Full factors: runway short, wet, contaminated, aircraft very light, ab-initio FO at his very beginning of training, exceptionally when single engine and GA gradient is no factor and runway is short, nearer runway turnoff reachable, speed advisory until late in final (e.g. 160 to 4) to still make it stable upon handbooks gate, lazy pilot

Pro F3 factors: fuel saving (reduction of stable N1 is clearly there, so there must be some markable saving), less noise, long runway, long rollout, standard when single engine, possible windshear (once you go around you're in F2 instead of F3, in WS escape you're in F3 iso Full).

Another big pro F3 is practice: many abnormals require a F3 landing, so you want to be current and skilled in them, you want to be used to the higher pitch picture when going visual, sounds pretty bad to me in the stress of an abnormal to fly the bird the first time in F3. That is why I try to make regular F3 landings, when appropriate according to the criteria above.

Stabilisation is no issue, the A320 is always stable at 1000' when dropping the gear at (10 x GS + threshold alt) for Full, add 300ft for F3.