PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Flap3 landing to save fuel
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2020, 20:28
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Molesworth
Hi Vilas,
My old company used to 'encourage' F3 landings, quoting fuel saving as a justification. But they were gracious enough to accept that safety came first. So if you are not happy, use F Full. I was never convinced by the fuel saving argument - from what I could find out, the comparison was done for F3 vs Full from 3000 ft on the glideslope - this may well have generated some fuel saving. But doing the approach in F3 and going F Full in time to meet your companies' stabilisation criteria is unlikely to save much fuel at all. The beancounters say that over a fleet of 'x' aircraft, each flying 'y' times per day that generates 'z' dollars savings. So if you don't fancy F3 into a particular airfield on a particular day, that won't dent their figures too much. Be safe. If you are the Commander - take command and do what is safest.
Flaps full at 3000ft?!?! I guess that’s one way to ensure you’re stable. From non-scientific observation, I’d guess most people in my company don’t get to full until 1200-1500, so that halves the fuel saving.