PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2020, 08:35
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
CHEV During school hols (I was a Cadet at Kenley) I used to get a lift or hitch hike to various airfields one of which was Northolt (quite a hike).because a comms flight was based there (may have been 32 Sdn). Anyway a quick visit to 'ops' would reveal what was going where and did they have a spare seat. One of the odd things was you had to go and actually get a seat from a store as the machines Devons / Pembrokes also carried freight if req. Having arranged your flight you then presented yourself at the flight line and fitted the seat. I recall that training flights were our usual rides, and sometimes you were dropped off in the middle of an airfield somewhere whilst the crew did practice single engine work. Anyway on this day there was a choice of Bovingdon or Jurby in the IOM. AS I was not geared up for an 'away day' I opted for Bov which was only just up the road, and as alluded prooved to be a great trip. I think 633 had just finished filming but the buildings were still covered in cammo nets and the burnt wreck and the two flyers were still there. I dimly recall both 'flyers' had painted over Perspex noses so would have been the ex Exeter CAAU machines. Both Kenley and Biggin had finished as RAF flying base's by then so I could never get a lift back home, but being in Cadet uniform always managed to hitch hike back.
On another epic we went to ETPS Farnborough and scrounged a ride in their Viscount where we deposited on the ground at Boscombe whist the drivers did EFTO runs. On the way back having made coffee in the galley I then got to sit in the right hand seat and 'poled' it for ten minutes which was fun. On another Farnborough jaunt I went on the 'Bedford Ferry' which was an evening trip to collect boffins, and my first experience of night flight. These were great days to be a Cadet and everyone was so helpful to get you up in the air. The icing on the cake was the purchase of a meal ticket for a shilling (20p) which enabled you to use the Airmans mess and eat like a lord. for the day !!!. In my case I was also a staff Cadet at 615 GS Kenley so w-ends were wall to wall activity. Having been part of the Cadet system when it was lead by capable and enthusiastic staff with the 'AIR' element paramount, you can imagine my horror to see how they destroyed the Gliding system and ended up being led by completely clueless people who had no idea what they had lost. One hopes the new Cmt can pull things together and get back on track.
Northolt eventually got a Hurricane gate guard which was a reminder of the fantastic Poles who flew from there.