PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2020, 23:00
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Not stumped for an answer

The Stumps went to Halton. SL 574 still has the three marks on the wing, Bromley is built up and Maguire was low. His arrival did little damage to the airframe (it was on its wheels the next day) but the prop was shattered.There is a wonderful image of the ongoing cricket match going on after lunch with 574 on its belly near the boundary. Peter Arnold had some great shots. There was quite a debate on whether the stumps could have caused dents in the leading edge of the wing and it got quite heated. Considering they would have been impacted at about 50 mph, and images were produced that showed the repairs in progress the 'non believers' as I described them would not have it, got even more annoyed when I suggested a test with someone hitting them on their head with a suitable stump and then asking them if it hurt (when they woke up that is)
Location is unchanged but now used by Millwall Football club for training (Calmont Road). To end on a BV point I revisited the Airfield decades later when they were building the prison. The Control Tower was looking battered but still there, and I climbed up to the balcony where Harry Andrews made his famous comment (You cant kill a Squadron) 633 that was. When they made the film Jeff Hawkes was one of the Mossie drivers, and apparently as related to me by one of the ground crew always came back late from shoots having used up his fuel beating up various airfields and ships in the North Sea !!!
Just need someone to tell me about SV getting his Hurricane at North Weald !!! Come on chaps someone must know.