PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2020, 00:25
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
LF 363

A bit of a drift (although I suspect 363 was a regular B visitor) but great to see those images of her when she was the sole Hurricane left in the RAF. Interesting comments re the 'incidents' with the Spitfires but the high profile one was when a MK 16 bellied in on a Bromley sports ground which prompted the cessation of letting the type fly over London.(well covered in a suitable forum thread some years ago)
However what is interesting is how 363 managed to survive long after the type had been withdrawn from normal use.
I did read somewhere that this was because S Vincent had managed to 'arrange' a Hurricane for his use with the help of Hawkers but have never seen an article that expanded on this. SV had flown a Hurricane during the BoB
My own visit to Bovingdon was after hitching a lift there (Devon from Northolt) as a Cadet in the 60's. The icing on the cake was on entering one of the hangars to find a couple of Mosquitoes (633 Squadron) with the cockpit doors down and ladders in situ,.(we never did get our lunch on that trip !!!) .