PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 15th Jun 2020, 14:32
Jet II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GS-Alpha
I have spent most of lockdown thinking my career of twenty odd years is now over, but I am still waiting to find out for sure. However, whilst considering my options, not once have I considered trying to find another flying job earning £20k a year. If that is where the career is headed, I for one would rather leave it behind. There are loads of things you can do to earn that kind of money, although I personally have considerably more ambition.
But how is it any different from the ambition of any new starter at a LCC who takes whatever job they can get simply to get current and rack up the hours? - they all have the ambition that things will improve in the future and that they can move on to better things.

Currently there is a glut of pilots on the market and for those that wish to stay in the industry and have no job their options are extremely limited. The forecasts are that the industry will recover in about 3 - 4 years so someone who is currently unemployed but wishes to keep flying will find a job that only pays basic wages for a short time quite attractive at the moment I would suggest.

Good luck to you and I hope it all works out - having gone through several crisis in the Industry before (9/11, SARS etc) where I was made redundant and even had to get out of the industry for a while I'm glad that I am now retired and not facing the difficult decisions all you guys are now having to make.