PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 15th Jun 2020, 11:11
TURIN

Received 165 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by kungfu panda
You guys are dreaming as well. Polax has it right. There'll be 1500 experienced longhaul Pilots coming from Emirates, largely European, most of those British. Another several hundred coming out of Qatar. Plus Saudia, Oman, Kuwait, possibly Flydubai and Etihad, all laying off 100+.
There are no expat jobs to go to in the far East.

Pilots will accept any money right now just to keep their licences current. They will not leave the industry.

I am not a pilot, but I do have a licence to work on aircraft, it too needs to remain current. However, if my salary drops to £20k I will definately be leaving the industry. I still need to pay the mortgage and if I can beat £20k doing a job that requires less skill and responsibility I'll take it for that kind of money.

A chap told me a story once about a negotiation within an airline. The mamagement stated directly to the reps that they should consider themselve lucky to have a job. The rep looked up and quietly said "Lucky to have a job? Listen pal, I choose to sell you my expertise, skill and experience, you are buying my free time"

It still applies today.

Good luck everyone, D-day is upon us.