PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Korea!
Thread: North Korea!
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2020, 07:46
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,594 Likes on 731 Posts
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/k...tion-nkvd377k8

Kim Jong-un’s sister threatens ‘enemy’ neighbour with military action

South Korean security authorities held an emergency meeting yesterday after the sister of North Korea’s supreme leader threatened unspecified military action and a halt to co-operative relations between Pyongyang and Seoul.

South Korea’s ministries of defence and unification said that the situation was “grave” after the warning by Kim Yo-jong, younger sister of Kim Jong-un, who is rapidly emerging as the second most powerful person in North Korea.

In a statement issued on Saturday Ms Kim came as close as any Pyongyang official has to tearing up agreements made in 2018 after the summit between the leaders of North and South. These include the establishment of a joint liaison office for officials from both countries in the North Korean city of Kaesong, close to the border.

More alarmingly, Ms Kim also dropped clear, but unspecific, hints that some kind of military action was being considered.

“I feel it is high time to surely break with the South Korean authorities. We will soon take a next action,” Ms Kim said, on the government-run Korean Central News Agency. “Before long, a tragic scene of the useless north-south joint liaison office completely collapsed would be seen. The right to taking the next action against the enemy will be entrusted to the General Staff of our army.”......

Hints of North Korean military action are taken seriously in South Korea. Ten years ago, during a previous period of tension, a South Korean naval corvette was sunk at sea with the loss of 46 sailors, an act for which Seoul blamed the North Koran navy.

“By exercising my power authorised by the supreme leader, our party and the state, I gave an instruction to the arms of the department in charge of the affairs with enemy to decisively carry out the next action,” said Ms Kim, who is believed to be 32, and who has become one of her brother’s closest advisers. “It is necessary to make them keenly feel what they have done.”