PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 4
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2020, 07:41
BananaJoe320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medical Classs 1-Colour vision, retake exam in different state

Hello fellow aviators. I have a question for you and I want to hear your advice and opinion on the following case:
In 2017 I got a medical class 2 in Romania, but with VCL limitation, my colour perception was not good enough. Unfortunately I was very tired at the point of the exam, this worsened things.
In late 2019 I went to Hungary to obtain a Class 1 medical license. Ishihara tests did not went bad I got 14 out of 17 plates, but anomaloscope failed me. My AQ 3.1 result means a mild deuteranomaly, but the matching results were somehow out of the limits, I don't have a clear picture about the results.
EASA accepts also Lantern and CAD tests, but neither Romanian and Hungarian CAA's offer this option because theese tests are not available. Situation is, that my case was rejected by both authorities leaving me without further options. Romanian CAA told me I have the right to retake the exam in a state where extensive testing is available, but Austrian CAA told me that based on EU Regulation 1178/2011 I can't re-take a medical in another state, and I can't transfer my medical to them until it's rejected. This way i'm blocked.
Also a small problem might be, that I had a 4 hour long psychology test, was well tired and the results were unsatisfactory. I heard that failing psychology is not a big issue you can retake it appeal it. Some psychologysts ask you some questions, while others are really strict.
Because of the following results my medical 2 was revoked. Well, I'm not really sorry about it, as medical 2 would never help me to fulfill my dream to fly for an airline.

What is your opinion, what would be the next step to take? I'm thinking to look more at the rules, and if needed I would contact a lawyer to clarify and maybe send in an appeal to EASA on this case. It is very discriminative that we have same rules but I don't start with equal examination rights. I know a very similar case like mine, of a CC friend. Romanian CAA said that my chances are not looking promising. I know that takitng Lantern and CAD might not come with acceptable results, but I want to take every chance.

I can't say how important would be for me to have the chance to undergo extensive testing. I have my opinion on the color vision, I work in an A320 simualtor more then 2 years now. Based on colleagues and pilot's opinion my colour vision is perfect in every condition, I can identify colours on the instruments also outside. I know that in EASA rules are really tight, but I think they are unfair. Look how FAA or CASA handles theese cases...