PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jammed Controls - Instances?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2020, 05:59
Evil Twin

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Mick, I made several attempts at a run on after trying all sorts to trouble shoot (had the engineer on board) all aborted due to too much speed. On the final attempt the engine gave up at about 50’ in the go around. We went end over end twice. I spent all of my spare nine lives and walked away without a scratch. Shook me up though and spent a long time with the general manager afterward working out what to do if it happened again.

The reason I was aiming at run-ons was it was revving so high I was concerned it would start throwing bits off before we had the chance to shut it down. I’m a bit older and wiser now and would have done as AC suggested and accept what ever overspeed occurred. That or if I had the chance get to alt and auto in were it to happen again

interestingly it happened again to the other heli school a few months later. That pilot after getting a lot of help from the ground got it up to sufficient altitude and pulled the mixture with a successful auto.

I’ve been carefully conserving my remaining life and anticipating trouble ever since.

Last edited by Evil Twin; 15th Jun 2020 at 06:10.