PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB Prelim Report Cessna Titan accident Lockhart River March 2020
Old 12th Jun 2020, 11:56
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
I'll only post this and mention it as food for thought for those out there who might find themselves in a similar situation, I'm no expert just another driver but I don't think it's a coincidence that he was at dot 0ft at 2nm when the runway was around the -2nm on the chart, if you move his second approach descent path forward on the graph showing his approaches both by 4nm they're quite similar and that slow turn to the left. Getting to MDA looking hard outside when you think you're over the top and 730ft can disappear real quick. Then add into the mix Morning flight, rough weather, Single Pilot IFR and 3 weeks since last flight and it stacks up the pressure on any Pilot.

I've spent a bit of time in very similar 404s in terms of Cockpit layout and tbh this one is not bad at all in my opinion, to what someone else mentioned previously about the AutoPilot the 400B's can be spectacular when looked after properly but that's a hard task as there are few around that truly understand them and if you're operating them I remember there being a chap over in WA (Perhaps Headland based now?) who is regarded as being the king, go see him, it's worth it or find SOMEONE who really knows them. Flying around GA like this is hard enough without adding that into the mix. If it was me I'd be asking the boss to put the money into getting that A/P done right rather than going from a 430 to a 650 for example, GPS's are great but having something that can reliably drive off them to reduce the load in Single Pilot IFR is priceless IMHO.