PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What kit to build, Titan T-51D Mustang or Supermarine Spitfire Mk26B
Old 12th Jun 2020, 10:45
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Kit Fighters

To be honest neither of them really 'look right' and when you consider the cost and limitations I think a Yak or Zlin would be a better option.
The jurca options look better but have to be built from plans so there is a lot of work there.
Myself I always thought a 8/10 Typhoon / Tempest with a Gypsy Queen engine would work well as the firewall fwd bit would look ok and at one time there were a lot of Queens with props available as the Doves / Devons were withdrawn from use.
Trying to get an engine/prop combination to replicate a 'Mini Merlin' is difficult although I did some flying with a Rover V8 in an Auster airframe to prove the concept. This was direct drive with a ground adjustable prop, and once the correct radiator position was found it performed well and was very smooth. Using modern available parts with suitable matched prop/gear drive a reliable 300+ HP should be possible with a V8.
One of the advantages of using a Queen was the supply of the powerplant (with cowlings) available from dead Doves which would have saved a huge amount of build time.
Treads can post an image of the Jurca MJ10.