PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Nichol books
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2020, 09:09
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackonicko
The two latest books are perhaps not entirely my cup of tea, but then I don't think I'm really the target market!

I am, however, absolutely in awe of the technique employed in both Spitfire and Lancaster, and offer my unqualified congratulations on a really professional job. Spitfire is a really skilfully written book and shows JN to be a really gifted story-teller - I'm not that far into Lanc yet, but I daresay I will enjoy it!

I wish my old Dad was still with us - he flew Yorks after the War, and logged a lot of time in the Lanc and Lincoln at the RAE after that, and had a real soft spot for the Lanc. His log books include all of the big four 4-engined bombers - Lanc, Halifax, B-17 and B-24, and he never flew a normal, standard bomber sortie in any of them. I'd be fascinated in what he would have made of the latest book.

Good luck with Tornado, JN!
Thanks for the message Jack - jolly kind of you.

You make a perfectly valid point. My books aren't really aimed at people who have immersed themselves in the subject for many years. I am trying to bring the subject to a new audience.
A few 'experts' have pointed out that both Spitfire and Lancaster haven't dealt fully with either a specific subject (eg Dambusters) or covered the development and engineering of the aircraft itself. This is deliberate on my part. For instance; I wrote extensively about 617 Sqn in a previous book so decided not to deal with it again.

It is a very easy criticism to make which basically says: "you haven't written your [bestselling] book the way I would have recommended". It is a perfectly reasonable point to make, but we are seeing more of this type of attitude these days which intimates, "I disagree with your viewpoint, ergo you must be wrong".

But more importantly, there are many 1000s of previous (excellent) books which have already covered development/engineering/weaponry etc. of Lancaster/Spitfire - to do so again would simply have attracted the reverse criticism that I was writing about already well-told, well-covered material.

My books are what might be called "oral history" - they tell the story through the words of those who were there. I aim at an audience which would not normally pick up a more 'dry' book on the subject. I am led to understand that "Lancaster" might well be at number 2 in the Sunday Times bestseller list this weekend; so hopefully my aim has been a bit more accurate this time.....!
Thanks to all who have bought, and especially enjoyed the books
Best wishes to all; stay safe and well.
JN