PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A319 FO windshield blowout
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2020, 05:09
Lord Farringdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
In addition to the official and factual report of events: ....
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10218664/

Viewer beware, Chinese pilots facepalm when asked their opinion.

Couldn't be any worse that the US 2012 film 'Flight', could it?

I have read the complete thread including the dispersions that may have been cast on Shimin's role in assisting the Chinese propaganda machine. I have no knowledge of Chinese civil aviation operations so couldn't comment but if the Chinese wanted to offset a perception of ineptitude that some might harbour, then they couldn't have picked a better event to hold up as a candle. Regardless of what is and what is not propaganda, I think it can be reasonably accepted without question that the FO's window completely departed the airframe, partially sucking him out and that despite the ensuing decompression, damage to systems, untrustworthy information, no comms, high terrain, intense noise, cold and buffeting wind pressure on the body, the Captain hand flew the airplane and with some navigation (and O2) assistance from the second Captain, brought the flight to a safe landing. Well done the Captain and crew as a whole.

Just an observation that there must have been a hell of lot of visual and aural warnings going off but I suppose none of them could be heard in the cacophony. That might have been a blessing in disguise!

This was effective seat of the pants flying. We discuss in so many threads about automation, Children of Magenta, experience necessary to land as a single pilot in a pilot incapacitation scenario etc, etc. But the reality is that this guy had a piece of broken aluminium strapped to him with a bunch of warm furry bodies clinging to it down back, and was served up a dogs bollocks for breakfast that morning. He had one job. Fly the damned POS airplane, no matter what condition it is in, no matter what else is happening around him, and no matter what all his senses are trying to tell him, no matter what SOP's said. He didn't go for the QRH. Probably got sucked out the window anyway!! . He is the only person in the world who with a bit of luck (good wx, daylight ops, and the aircraft not breaking up or departing the flight regime due to possible unknown flap system damage) could make this a successful outcome and used all his piloting skills to do it.

No two events are the same, no matter how similar they may seem but I guess we don't have to look too far to find perfectly serviceable aircraft lost with all lives on board when all that was needed was this guy or someone like him in any one of of those two seats up front. How do we get back to that position?