PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2020, 15:26
NoelEvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that a big problem is that the likes of ReallyAnnoyed have been stuck at home too long without seeing the real world out there. Not at all their fault, but it does limit their viewpoint.

To see airport after airport after airport full of parked up and sealed aeroplanes (I'm not talking about remote 'storage' airports, I'm talking about normal 'every day' airports), to see totally deserted airport terminals and to see the Departure Board in the terminal of one of the world's major international airports on what should be a hectic bank holiday with only five flights on it -- things are bad. Trying to bang on about maintaining Ts&Cs just does not fit into that real world out there. Taking whatever is needed to keep as many pilots in employment and avoid them having to worry about "Working Life After Flying" is most important right now.

Please do NOT try to confuse this situation with any other. It is totally unlike any other. I will repeat the graph from 'Flight' that I posted some time back:

Not a single situation that anyone has tried to compare with in the past comes anywhere near this.

excrab has it perfectly correct:
The time to try to improve terms and conditions is when you have a position to bargain from.
Best right now is to try to look after each other and ensure that as many pilots stay in work for as long as possible...