PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Nichol books
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2020, 13:00
Vendee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nichol
Not been on this forum for a while. Many thanks for the kind comments about the books.
Many people have asked me about doing Hurricane/Mossie etc etc.- the simple, increasingly sad fact is that my books are all based around interviews with the WW2 veterans themselves - For "Spitfire" and "Lancaster" I amassed 100s of hours of personal testimony, amounting to millions of words which distilled down to a 140,000 word book.
Unfortunately, this means that "Lancaster" will be my last book on WW2 aircraft for the moment as there are not the numbers of surviving veterans available to tell their stories.
I am indeed doing "Tornado" next - telling the story of the Tornado in the First Gulf War in 1991. It has been an incredible experience talking to my old friends and colleagues who flew those ops; especially as I wasn't there for most of it!
Glad to hear you are well John. You won't remember me by name but I was a "Sooty" on XV when you were serving on that sadly departed squadron and I still remember that morning at Muharraq when you and JP didn't come back. Don't want to embarrass you but you were always popular with the Erks, possibly because that's where you came from. I also just finished reading your "Spitfire" book last month. I admit that it took a while to get to grips with the format and to remember all the characters that were introduced but I got there in the end and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure you would ever have cut it at McDonalds