PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 11th Jun 2020, 04:36
ENJJPT38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So true.

I had a different user name but can't seem to get on so I had to create a new "call sign". I have been here 12 plus years. The overall adventure has been a wild experience and we have learned an awful lot. My family has gotten to experience things they never would have, had we not come to Dubai. So, it ends in a little disappointment for us, but we are older and ready to go home and fortunately have a fairly stable home to return to. We feel terrible for the young families that will be uprooted with no good employment prospects and may be going back to a country that is not in good condition.

I would be remiss not to thank a few people who made life fun and interesting along the way.

-a couple FDM's that had the big picture
-many, many CC and Pursers who worked so very hard 24/7 and always provided excellent service up front
-maintenance...I don't know how you do it in the heat 24/7. I always found the engineering staff competent, responsive and always "there" at the push of a button
-ramp workers...like maintenance I don't see how you do the job 24/7 in the heat for too many hours a week at so little pay...you are admirable
-medical staff at EK...often maligned but I found the staff to be supportive and available. Until last year I didn't interact with them much, but had a big issue that eventually got cleared and I appreciate the help they provided. My wife has had several medical issues and those have been sorted and we are appreciative for the benefits provided and found the health care and facilities throughout Dubai to be excellent.
- I found the current and former 777 Chief Pilots to be quite supportive given their job description. CP can never win. Senior Management above him gives pressure and he can never make all the line guys and girls happy..lose lose, some just below CP ..TBD, but trying to be positive.
-Training again much maligned, but things have gotten a whole lot better over the past 12 or 13 years...believe it or not, I have learned much from the experience
- 777 Fleet PP and FJ... thanks

Lastly..fellow Aviators. What I learned flying here for over a decade is beyond anything I could have ever read about or studied in books. Talking to you about your varied countries and life at home was an education that could not ever be duplicated, in any way, without coming to Dubai. Thanks for getting me through my Sim training, line training, line checks, all night turn arounds, PURPA crossings at 0400 and 16 hour flights over the North Pole. You kept me on the straight and narrow and I greatly appreciate that guidance. As a group you will forever be remembered and as I age, I will only remember the good times and that is how it should be.

Again, we are terribly heartbroken over what has happened to so many young families here, not just in the pilot community but all throughout the EK group. We have learned a great lesson here watching what others have to endure to support their families and we count ourselves to be very fortunate.

For those staying in Dubai, good luck. Times will be trying in the future but Dubai always seems to bounce back. Stay positive, enjoy the journey, take care of your buddies and fly safe.

Toga!