PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2020, 13:36
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WillowRun 6-3
[SLF ... although having some knowledge of aviation law (and....lots of hours, of reading PPRuNe)] Fairly sure that's a non-standard term, .............................. If that's correct, is it a term that nonetheless has cropped up in R/T in previous accidents?

(I'm not speculating at all as to what could have led to usage of that term........".)
I'd not read much/anything into the use of "comfortable" per se WillowRun. "Standard phraseology" is used to provide unambiguous standard calls during routine events to ensure things aren't missed or misunderstood particularly for key activities (such as clearances and readbacks thereof). When something needs confirmation or things are out of the ordinary, it's quite standard to use normal language to describe/emphasise things. All the Captain appears to be doing is pointing out to ATC that, despite the issue raised by ATC (significantly excess height over range), he is happy/comfortable to continue despite their rather odd position. Either word seems to sum up the Captains feelings.

Interestingly, that second bit of your quote which you put in brackets is actually at the very heart of this matter and is far more important than the actual word used - what on earth possessed an experienced Captain to think/state that they were "comfortable" (or any similar word) in a situation which many on PPruNe, particularly those who fly pax jets day in and day out, realise was pretty much an impossibility to pull off - as was sadly proved during the first part of this accident when they initially arrived over the runway. The undesirability of their start point is exactly why I chose my moniker on PPruNe!