PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2020, 09:39
DomyDom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Mac
ATNotts
Perhaps we all move to NZ ?

However back in the real world I think we will all have to learn to live with it. It is another risk to add to those which we all have to live with from the moment we awake each day. Interestingly we have just received the blood test for Covid 19 antibodies, as quite a number of staff including myself believed we have had it. These tests were conducted by a doctor drawing blood and sending to the lab in Germany, and were not the finger prick home testing. Surprisingly given the amount of travel we all do, we were all negative for anti bodies. The doctor did say there was an extremely bad bug running around Europe during December - March which caused severe respiratory infection, with the resultant infection producing copious phlegm and indeed blood. He said we were not the only people to mistake this for Covid 19.

Kind regards
Mr Mac
Some interesting work being done by Sunetra Gupta, a Proffessor of Epidemiology at Oxford. Her theory is that exposure to CV19 is much greater in the population than previously thought but antibody tests currently lack the sensitivity to always pick it up. Likewise many have had the symptoms but have never been tested. My wife, myself and several friends are sure we have had CV19 but recovered without medical intervention so were never tested.

This may partly explain why figures in Europe are dropping so quickly if more people have some degree of immunity than previously thought. We can't be complacent but we may now find that the threat in Europe receeds quite quickly such that it can be managed with focussed measures in hot spots like care homes etc. while maintaining enhanced hygience measures and quarantine from high risk areas.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/05/the-costs-are-too-high-the-scientist-who-wants-lockdown-lifted-faster-sunetra-gupta