PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flown a Taildragger
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2020, 23:51
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
I certainly agree that if a student is so unfamiliar with a type that upper airwork is justified, than of course, training should never be skipped. If it's the student's first time flying stick, then yes...

As for sideslips, the reality that it is poorly taught is sad, and no excuse. Many taildraggers will require a sideslip to refine all but the most well set up approach. I have never found a type which will not respond well to being slipped, right up to full rudder. The King Air 200 has some odd tendencies, and its type certificate has a special condition in that regard, but an attentive pilot should have no problem. As for any other type, certainly, the student should be taught, then allowed to practice at altitude. Thereafter, as an element of tailwheel training, a sideslip just into the flare should not be concerning. I do not view a sideslip as a risky maneuver in the sense of approach to stall, as the whole point of the sideslip is to create drag to reduce speed, so if you're anywhere near stall speed, entering a sideslip would be pointless unless you're silly high. FWIW, in negotiating with Transport Canada Flight Test staff last December to not have to demonstrate spins in a modified Cessna Grand Caravan, I accepted instead demonstrating stall to the break with 75% power, in a 30 degree bank turn both ways, with one ball out (which was just about full rudder) - so a horrible sideslip, approach to stall. The stall was very benign, as has been my experience testing other smaller types this way.

I have never flown a Pitts, so would defer to those which that experience for their opinion on technique. I agree the the Tiger Moth seems to like either landing technique (or doesn't know the difference!). That said, I've never been formally type trained in the Moth, I just checked myself out when it needed to be test flown post maintenance. Again, I would defer to Tiger Moth experts for the best technique.

But, for the number of worn out tailwheels I have repaired from Cessna 180/185's, PA-18, the 172, and my flying boat, I choose to hold the tailwheel off as long as I can to reduce wear and tear - thus wheel landings. For bounce arresting, once I have both mains planted, I'll lift the tail. The loss of AoA on the wing pretty well assures that it's not going to fly again, so no bounce into the air 'cause it's still flying. If I've hit so hard that it bounces on pure landing gear spring, well, that's pretty embarrassing!

When landing skis in unbroken snow, it is normal to hold the tail off to assure that you have not committed to a landing until you're happy with the snow. If you three point into snow, you may just drop and stop if the snow is deep or crusty. Done that way, you may be calling for many friends with shovels - I've known it to happen! So I'll put one ski down first (usually the left, if the wind permits), and watch and feel what it does, before I even allow the right main to go down, let alone the tail. If the snow is too deep or crusty, and the plane pulls, I'll put on the power and go around, it was flying the whole time. When I was testing the 150HP C150 taildragger on wheel skis, I deliberately landed three point into snow (beside the runway) which I knew to be 18" of loose powder. Snow flew everywhere! Takeoff was not possible, just too much drag, and that was what I expected. I snowstormed out to the runway, and took off on wheels. It has been known that the tail post has been pulled out of PA-18's and Maules on skis, when the plane was three pointed into crusty snow. For landing on very soft grass or sand on tundra tires, I employed the same left wheel first and feel technique, and a few times it saved me from getting stuck, as I felt it pull, and rapidly did a go around. The Tiger Moth I flew on skis had the "Canadian" main landing gear, which was canted forward at a greater angle, to reduce noseovers on skis.

When I was trained in the Turbine DC-3, three points landings were a no no under any circumstances.

So I listen to what the type expert tells me on any given type, and defer to a wheel landing if I have not received any advice.