PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flown a Taildragger
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2020, 18:10
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Though I generally agree with beamer's good advice, a few items caught my eye...

Upper airwork practice is never a bad idea, however, once you're off the ground, a tail dragger and tricycle plane will fly the same way. There could be minor type differences, but those differences are not landing gear related in flight. I used to fly alternatively a 172 tricycle, and 172 taildragger - in flight, they were identical. If you're going to practice sideslipping, well... you don't need a taildragger to do that! Practice that on whatever you fly, and yes, it's an excellent skill to maintain. An hour ago I delivered a 182RG for it's next use, and for my practice, I flew a practice forced approach, including a hearty sideslip to make it something of a spot forced approach onto the piano keys - even the tricycle 182 RG slipped very nicely! Save your more rare opportunity to fly tailwheel for circuit practice - those are the unique skills to develop.

I accept that three point landings may be taught first, but I accept that with reluctance. Three point landings need not be considered the preference. Though I teach three point, I always emphasize my preference for wheel landings in nearly all situations. The only operation for which I teach three point is for the shortest possible landing run - so really reserved for forced landings. In most taildraggers, if you're landing that short, you may not be taking off from that place. I have never seen an aerodrome runway so short that a GA taildragger had to be three pointed to get it down and stopped there. But yes, a three point landing has the potential to have a shorter ground roll that a wheel landing.

Otherwise, wheel landing offers many advantages: Better visibility, much less likely to bounce, better in cross winds, better if the surface is uncertain, much less wear and tear on tailwheels, and certainly focuses your mind more on the need to fly the plane at least as far as clearing from the runway, if not to the chocks. Although, yes, I was taught three point in the early days, I soon realized the benefits if wheel landing, and noticed that in most cases, it's the norm for larger taildraggers (warbirds).

Don't be deceived into thinking that the tailwheel helps you steer, so get it on early. No, the tailwheel (that tiny, over worked tire) does little to steer the plane compared to the rudder, until the plane is moving so slowly that the rudder losses effectiveness. I have proven this to myself landing my taildragger on the bare ice of a frozen lake, more and more out of the wind, until finally, I was landing 22 knots direct crosswind, with no problem - until I slowed to less than 15MPH or so, then it gently weathercocked, and groundlooped, as the rudder had become ineffective, and the tailwheel had no friction to steer. Keep the tail up, it'll remind you to actually use the rudder!