PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GNSS receiver calculation of time
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2020, 17:17
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
To get back to the original chicken/egg, position/time question, the answer is neither is first.

The key to this is that you get a set of Simultaneous Equations than when solved result in the three spacial coordinates + time being determined.

Time is not separate, it's just one of FOUR coordinates.

To get values for 4 coordinates you need at least 4 equations.
To get values for 3 coordinates you need at least 3 equations.

More satellites results in more equations.

Once turned into equations the maths doesn't care what the symbols represent, just that there is some numeric relationship between them.

I suspect that if you don't understand simultaneous equations (school maths at age less than 16 as I recall) you are not going to be able to 'get' this without a bit of study. If you can do basic algebra then extending to Simultaneous Equations should not be too big a step, otherwise maybe a bit more work. Bound to be some very good material on internet. Youtube? There is very likely a 5 min video somewhere that will make it all clear.

Now while I understand the concept of simultaneous equations, the spherical geometry (+ other stuff) equations involved in this are for sure completely beyond me:-)

PS One of the big on-line-universities was started by a maths teacher for his offspring. udemy, coursera??? Bet he has some good stuff that may have escaped the paywall (legitimately.