PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 9th Jun 2020, 16:05
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot2/b
I wonder if it has something to do with the hundreds of RYR guys currently being made redundant? Just a thought... 🤔
The training department in and of itself is a major source of revenue. I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if self-funded type ratings take off in a month or two, as was the case a couple of years ago. After all, would you refuse some meager €29,500 which someone happily gives you for using some training capacity that would have been idling otherwise? And what they will get in return is the good old zero-hour contract - and RYR can afford to hand out as many of those as they want since they put the company under no obligation for fixed monthly payouts or a minimum number of hours to be provided for each one of those pilots. It doesn't matter whether one pilot does 90 hours or 10 pilots do 9 hours each. It would cost the company the same.

To me, that sounds like a really logical next step for RYR. There will never, ever be a shortage of 200-hour chaps who would happily part with a bag of cash for the chance of putting on that shiny uniform, even if it means no guaranteed income and severely culled earning potential for some time to come.