PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GNSS receiver calculation of time
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2020, 11:20
jmmoric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hoss183
You have it a little bit backwards.....
That was my main problem when I think about it..... if the reciever does not have the exact time, you cannot calculate the distance to a satellite in the first place... and since the time stamp in the signal from one satellite doesn't really help in calculating the time to that particulary satellite, we need more satellites....

But if you get a signal from 4 satellites, with the same timestamp, you should, based on the time difference in the receipt, be able to calculate your position..... and then when knowing where you are.... calculate the time (cause now you know the exact distance to the satellites)?

I mean, if you just receive a signal from several satellites with a timestamp.... you'd never know what the time actually is.... just that the time was exactely that when the signal left the satellite.... but comparing the "time difference" in the receipt of the signal, you can at least say where you are (since you can only be at one location in the universe with that timedifference).

Kind of hyperbolic navigation.... just need a 4'th station for 3D calculation....