PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 20 buyers now circling Virgin Australia
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2020, 10:43
didrechambers77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
The only experience I have is what I saw and went through during the Ansett administration. Just to be clear Ansett didn't just suddenly stop flying, it was in administration for 5 months flying a limited service with the support of the ACTU. So the unions were well and truly represented during the whole period when KM were negotiating the sale to Fox and Lew. Lindsay Fox in particular was very chummy with the unions through his association with Bill Kelty. At the end of the day it didn't matter and the employees and the unions were left high and dry when the people with the money decided at literally the last minute to not proceed with the purchase.

My advise to any Virgin employee is not to put your faith in the union to secure the deal despite what they say because they can't force Bain or Cyrus to buy the airline if at the last minute they choose not to. The most devastating statement I heard during the whole Ansett debacle was Greg Combet on the news stating "There are no jobs to be saved at Ansett.".
Correct, the unions involved are purely a mouth piece. Any sentiment regarding keeping watch on employee entitlements/rights is as good as a live feed from workplace "there there pet, it'll be okay, we god this".... any outstanding entitlements in the event on liquidation are underwritten by the FEG, no need for a mouthpiece for that. Keep in mind, your unions are also going through the process to make your respective agreements more "competitive" and "modernized" are the buzz words being thrown around. The drastic spill and fill is on its way for the corp staff, (both bidders have put together structures already, which only include 5-C suits [down from 9] and EBA staff well.... spill and fill, don't like it leave... nothing more nothing less.

As for workplace, think of it as anesthetic "deep breaths and it'll be fine" they said", and when you're passed out on happy gas the cutting begins.

Last edited by didrechambers77; 9th Jun 2020 at 10:44. Reason: extension.