PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 9th Jun 2020, 09:37
Axel-Flo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What’s an individuals value to the company?

I think you need to be very careful with what you deem people are worth in salary terms and more so to your core business🤔 Now there was an example of a flight engineer who, when the company went to a 2 man flight deck, was offered a CC role which he took and retained his salary for about a year until he went onto a new CC contract. The face of BA I would guess isn’t the pilots, that’s for sure, and what your CC do for the passengers, especially the Prems, Gold card holders and high paying first and club class passengers will have way more effect on them being a return customer than the efforts of a Nigel or Nigella? That some of them achieve a high salary must be compared to what a high class high cost restaurant perhaps pays its Maitre D or Sommelier and certainly should not be likened to an FO for example...those are very different skill sets, have very different value and potential and are comparing apples with oranges. As to what a New FO or even perhaps an older one from say a Typhoon cockpit should be paid when first starting a new role on a new type in a new company. You’re all in the same boat now with the issue of 188 to pilots as well as the rest of the company, working together to see the value in each other could never be more important as you go forward in an uncertain aviation future. I’m not sure the race to the bottom in salary and conditions will necessarily get you the right Face of BA “ in flight customer experience operatives” (Previously perhaps known as Cabin Crew) to convince business users to pay £7k for a first class fare to the US say? And what then, will they decide to rename you in front on the Flight deck door, as the “seat stick interface operative” in new contracts so that they can change all your terms as well?