PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will you ever go back to Aviation?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2020, 08:12
finestkind

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by junior.VH-LFA
I think there is a smaller percentage of young people these days willing to hand over control of their life for 11.5-14.5 years to the military. I can't blame them, with the options that were available only months ago within the industry, there were other avenues. People talk about HECS debt, but very few mention the burden of being told where to live, when to go on leave etc that comes with the military. Nothing is ever free!
Hmm, yes, no, maybe. We certainly have a more transient career population but also most professionals do not change career paths (do know a few who have but they generally having to many of those stray neurons upstairs). This has been highlighted for the last 20 + years and attempted to be addressed with a varying ROSO. Most people join the military for a career with the option or plan to move to commercial. In regards to the options that were available a few months ago in the commercial area I would argue that the military has changed, for the better, to what it was a decade plus ago ( as I would point out the commercial life is nothing to what it was 20 plus years ago). If you are flying for a commercial organisation where to live may well, and certainly is for juniors, not an option. Leave in the military has been recognised as a requirement and your superior that denies a leave app needs a very good reason.

I guess it all comes back to the individual and what they find attractive for career.