PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will you ever go back to Aviation?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2020, 07:56
finestkind

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Slezy9
Not at all. Over the past 20 years the RAAF has seen a steady decline in applicants. The reduced numbers in through the door of recruiting would imply that there is just a smaller pool for the RAAF to choose from. A larger pool means more chance of higher quality applicants.

I think aviation in general has suffered over the past decades from a low level of interest. I think being a pilot is the best job out there, but it also has its downsides! I just wish I didn't love staring out the window so much!
I agree that the numbers have declined coming through the doors and that with a lower number the likelihood of having quality candidates reduces but is maintained via entry requirements. But the RAAF have attempted to address this by changing the requirements for entry. This allows more applicants to progress to the selection process but whether this will translate to a greater graduation number of high quality candidates remains to be seen.

Yes general aviation has suffered but not over the last decade but more likely over the last three decades. I do not think you will find many if any that would argue that todays commercial career bears no resemblance
to pre 1990's commercial career.Unfortunately world events have conspired to make the attraction of a career as a commercial pilot, well not attractive. The lack of experienced pilots was becoming an issue when 911 occurred. Than SARS etc. I know there has been oddles of advice given to those looking at a career in aviation mainly revolving around have a backup and good luck. I agree.