PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has the Middle East Peaked as a Hub ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2020, 00:33
krismiler

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
I’ve lost track of how many times you’ve touted this over the last two months? Any reason for the obsessive posting about EK/EY? Personally I don’t see it ever happening........
If nationalistic pride wouldn't allow a merger, which would effectively be an EK take over of EY, then code sharing and an alliance would make sense particularly at the moment. Co-ordinate schedules, a full B777 for each airline is better than two half empty ones each, uneconomic routes for two might be profitable for one, connection times could be minimised and even if an airport transfer is needed the two hubs aren't that far apart. DWC reduces that distance even further.

Allow FF mile usage between either airline and lounge access to the other partners facilities. Both airlines are of a similar high standard so arriving at the airport and finding your flight is being operated by the other partner wouldn't bother the pax. An alliance would strengthen both airlines and it's difficult to find reasons against the idea, even QR are in one. EK already partner with QF, and EY have numerous code shares with other airlines. With everything put together, a ME alliance could rival the current OneWorld/Star Alliance/Skyteam trio and strengthen the regions hub position.