PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - General Aviation Comprehensive Guide
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2020, 16:26
IntergratedKid150hrs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Aviation Comprehensive Guide

Good evening, everyone.

Firstly, I wanted to make this thread for all the junior pilot, like myself that is aiming to have a GA job around Australia a comprehensive guide on how to land your first job as a junior pilot. I hope other experienced pilot or even Chief pilots can help us out, in figuring out the things we need to have, do and expect on landing that first job of ours.

I would like to introduce myself (anonymously), I am freshly graduated CPL pilot with about 250 total aeronautical hours under my belt. Upon graduating High school, I applied to one of the course provider in WA to do the Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot License - Fixed Wing). After 8 months of ruthless studying for CASA CPL exams I was able to do the flight test using my CPL credits and get my PPL; then right after my CPL. Upon attaining my CPL, I wasted no time and did the 7 ATPLs subject which took me 6 months to complete with the help of ATPL man Nathan Higgins. After completing my ATPLs, I was given the opportunity to start doing MECIR and I was lucky enough, to have it all done within a short period of time.

My questions are -
When is the best time?
How does applying for a company usually progress?
What are the things we need to have in terms of endorsement, aircraft class rating or ratings?
How does the interview usually go? Do we expect it to be like an airline type interview, level of professional. Or maybe a more laid back kind of GA
What do we need to read upon or study before a GA interview
Do we need some type of interview coaching or a so called ‘GA job ready course‘ to be done before applying?
What else?

I hope that everyone can use this thread and share upon ideas in the times like these (covid huh?) to help out new generations of pilot wanting to land that job in GA, especially for someone like me who graduated in an Intergrated course, finishing with 150 hours. Thank you for lending your time into reading this thread and thank you for sharing your life pro tips and tricks in advance.