PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2020, 08:29
UnderASouthernSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Navpi
The topic of frieght rears its head because I have former colleagues still struggling daily with supply chain issues in the NHS.

One of the procurement staff in a hospital I'm close to in the N West read out an airway bill where the supply had come in via Cardiff. Even they raised an eyebrow suggesting

"I thought this would have come in via Manchester or Liverpool.

These goods had been in S Wales since last Monday despite the North of England having a major international gateway serving 5 major cities.

Dressing this up as a finance issue is absolutely ludiocrous.

Is Manchester so threadbare that there are no staff available to execute even the semblance of a basic operation?

Maybe it's time they got the army in to run the place.

All I'm hearing is excuse after excuse after excuse in everything that Manchester does. Its light years away from the "can do " attitude when the likes of Peter Hampson and Chris Walkden were running the show.

If Manchester is full , rather than everyone sit on their collective hands why are we able not able to tow a unit off for 3 hours , handle a feight movement then tow it back or is that "too hard".

Are we so overburdened that handling 6 movements a day gives everyone in Olympic House a nervous breakdown?

As for refusing to park aircraft on RW2 because of the logistics, I would suggest we send management down to Bournemouth or Cardiff. They currently have aircraft shoehorned into every availble part of the airfield but somehow seem able to cope quite easily with 124 stored aircraft..... and handle NHS movements on a daily basis.
How do you know that 90% of the PPE on the flight to Cardiff wasn't destined for facilities in Wales/West of England/South West? In which case the preference could be to take the flight into an airport closer to the majority of end users. We clearly don't have enough knowledge about loads, flight, landing & handling costs and how the NHS supply chain works to answer this topic. There may also be a pr/political angle to certain airports wanting to be seen to be accepting these flights.