PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 7th Jun 2020, 23:52
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Keg
To which I hope the response from the court is ‘why did you proceed to put these terms to a vote when COVID was already a known thing?’
It could probably be argued that when the vote took place the expected period of the stand down was only short term and things were expected to be back to normal within a short period of time. Any long term reduction in passenger numbers only became apparent well after the vote took place, so the extent of any retraining was not foreseen at the time.

Originally Posted by dragon man
It was alluded to last week by the CP that we would be hearing news shortly we do not want to hear. AIPA are meeting Qantas on Wednesday to discuss VR or CR I don’t know which. Three months notice from the end of this month is the end September when jobkeeper finishes. As Green.Dot says above if you do want to think about it don’t read this forum.
No that was not said. In fact TLS has often said he does not see the need to make anyone redundant, if the network you had in 2019 is the one you want in a few years when demand returns time why would you go about redundancies and RINs in the meantime if you need same crew in a few years?

They would be seeking “flexibilities” - which could be things like not accruing leave whilst stood down, lower divisors to bring more people back to work, possibility training more onto the 737 to absorb excess crew, they’re doing absolutely everything to ensure the most people can remain employed in the long run. This would be done in conjunction with the union so I guess that’s why they are meeting.

Originally Posted by Wingspar
As has been mentioned, selected VR to some. Most probably to 380 and 744 crews but not for a while.
This stand down facility is a godsend to the company.
Crew on those aircraft will probably start, quite rightly, to jump up and down as their leave runs out and be insisting the company make a decision.
The company has been quite clear they can keep pilots on stand down indefinitely, and even some suggest until the network is back at 100% of the original one. It could be said if there are any COVID-19 related international travel restrictions then at least until they are all removed, which going off government statements at least 12 months, or maybe until a vaccine is found.

Even if they are RIN’d somewhere they’ll just be kept on stand down for the foreseeable future anyway as there is little international flying available to do any training.

So I believe there will be no CR (I hope so as well) and possibly some VR, but not much.