PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reapers - Ministers refuse to reveal target of new RAF killer drone missions
Old 7th Jun 2020, 17:30
alfred_the_great

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Fitter2
Racedo

I beg to disagree. There are places for lawyers of conscience to press for proper adherence to the rules of war. Shiner and co were judged by their own oversight body to have flagrantly transgressed their own rules. It would be nice if our adversaries also observed the rules of war, and it is frustrating (but not an excuse for illegal actions) when they don't.

With regard to the original post, there is oversight from the Secretary of State for Defence and HofP Select Committee, who can legitimately ask questions and receive classified information under need to know. Journalists and PPruNe posters may wish to know, but as been pointed out 'The Public Interest' and 'what the public are interested in' are not necessarily the same.
actually, no they can't.

RPAS, much like UKSF, have been moved into a "neither confirm nor deny" space.

I know people flying them, and they're good people, but members of the public do need to know if we're suddenly conducting kinetic strikes across a country when that hasn't been debated through properly.

If the Goverment and MoD were so sure of their footing, then I assume they'd be entirely happy in putting forward a mature, reasoned and solid policy position in public...