PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Reconstruction with new ATC Audio
Old 7th Jun 2020, 13:53
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Edit:- Ha! Our posts crossed:-)

Airplanecrazy, who did the AMAZING video reconstruction says:-

Originally Posted by airplanecrazy
the combination of turn and acceleration downward appear to give about 0.9 - 1.1g down in the seat with very little lateral (side to side) or longitudinal (backward and forwards) g's. This is very preliminary, but I would like like to know if that even sounds possible to you all?
I don't know if a pilot would notice himself/herself making the control inputs necessary to preserve a 1G in the seat as they are descending/turning (assuming the pilot is not getting attitude information from the AI and is flying by feel).
Since no one competent appears to have answered I will give it my best!?

I have done zero instrument flying, some other flying and I even had a helicopter lesson:-)

Your statements above seem reasonable to me. As the g tended to increase due to the turn the pilot could well have compensated automatically with a bit of forward cyclic.

In fact, thinking further, without some aft cyclic the aircraft may well have maintained 1g all by itself. To get more than 1g, up collective (+power) would be required and also aft cyclic to maintain the flight path as a level turn.

Perhaps all that was required was a little bit of roll input or perhaps the helicopter's natural instability would have been sufficient?

Maybe someone who understands this properly can respond to airplanecrazy? I have no knowledge of any autopilot or stability systems.

The reconstruction is very powerful and the scenario presented suggests that the pilot became distracted or maybe had a medical issue.

In addition to the amateur ADS-B collections there are I believe official ones. They may add to the available data and are likely to have proper timestamps. There are new satellite ADS-B data gathering systems too. I believe at least one is in pre-production testing and that they provided the data that persuaded Boeing to ground the 737 MAX. Boeing seemed to feel it safe (for them) to discard as irrelevant the amateur-collected material that showed a flight path eerily similar to the LyonAir crash.

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/s...radar24-users/

Last edited by jimjim1; 7th Jun 2020 at 14:05.