PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Reconstruction with new ATC Audio
Old 7th Jun 2020, 13:29
airplanecrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ApolloHeli
A fundamental concept of successful IMC flying is understanding the fact that you cannot fly by feel. If there's no AH, then flying off the remaining instruments is possible, however if a pilot's just looking out the window trying to regain references (or ignoring the instruments in some other way), they won't be flying for much longer.
Originally Posted by Hot and Hi
What would you like to know whether it is possible?

To fly wth 0.9g to 1.1g, and little lateral or longitudinal acceleration? I would say that is the aim. The lateral and logitudinal g's normal only come in at the moment of contacting terra firma (i.e., hard landing or crash).
I see that I did not phrase my question well, so I will try again The hypothesis I am exploring is that the pilot's attention could have been diverted away from the attitude indicator from 17:45:12 - 22 and that he "subconsciously" applied control inputs while distracted to maintain a 1g trajectory for those 10 seconds, even though the helicopter was banking and descending at the end of that period. My question is does the hypothesis seems possible to actual pilots? I have no experience to judge whether it would have required more than "subconscious" concentration from the pilot to achieve that trajectory, or to know if the pilot would have noticed making those control inputs (e.g. it would require the cyclic to be in an unexpected position).