PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair France demands 20% pay cut for flight-crew to avoid redundancies
Old 7th Jun 2020, 07:08
aviationvictim

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bringbackthe80s
There is NO difference at most unionized places, unless you’re at air france or lufthansa. NO difference. You will see for yourself soon unfortunately
this has been O’Leary’s gospel for the past 20 years. It seems he managed to indoctrinate a large part of his work force to believe in this even though there’s been several attempts to unionise FR over the years some more successful than others. Ezy and FR are two very similar airlines. One unionised from the start the other not. Look at T&Cs of the two airlines and tell me again that a union makes no difference.
BA is used as an example these days of an airline were the otherwise strong union has no power but it really has very little to do with the Union it self but rather the legislation behind it. Uk employment-laws are dire and also unique in Europe. Your username indicates you want to bring back the eighties so if that works out you might want to stop Thatcher from becoming the PM. Problem solved.(the battle is not lost for our Ba colleagues yet btw)
The French employment laws protect the workers but as I’ve mentioned before it is an uphill battle to seek this protection for yourself when faced with redundancy. This is where a strong union will make a difference.
We can revisit this in a few months as the battle is only just beginning for some of the airlines but I promise you no unionised French-based airline will succumb to common blackmail.
If you still have doubts of the power of a unionised workforce have a look at the US majors. Great T&Cs and protection for their workers. Doesn’t mean people will not be made redundant but it’s not the smash and grab we're seeing in European aviation. This is one of the most liberal, non-regulated work-environments but it’s also unionised.