PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down
Old 7th Jun 2020, 03:10
MarcK

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Akro
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that pretty much all the ADS-B in traffic solutions are UNCERTIFIED. That is, they are not legal for use in IFR - or situations such as this accident.

As i understand it, unlike the USA, Australia elected the ADS-B out only system. The proper certified ADS-B in and out system would require AsA to invest in a network of transmitters.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that the traffic display via the 4G network offered by AvPlan & Ozrunways is not a good thing. As is the Stratux reciever, the Stratus receiver, The Dual XGPS190, Sage clarity, Dynon DRX, etc. These systems work relatively well in VFR type situations at low level and in 4G areas, but at higher altitudes, remote areas, congested areas and outside 4G areas they cannot be relied upon at all.

But none of these systems are a) fully reliable or b) part of the Government designed airways system. In the wake of this accident we, as IFR pilots need to do 2 things:
1. Learn what we can from the accident and figure out how to stay safe in an imperfect airways system and an imperfect AsA system and
2. Keep the pressure on AsA to fix its problem areas.

I don't like the notion that if we all just connect a a Stratux receiver to our iPads or an uncertified Dynon display that the problem goes away. we deserve a more robust system that has AsA sanction.
I'll be happy to correct your misconceptions. ADS-B IN does not require any ground support. Certainly not 4G. What it does, is listen to the ADS-B broadcasts of aircraft it can see, sort of like TCAS, only this is receive only, no additional transmitters are required since all aircraft are transmitting their position/speed asynchrously, all the time. So what you need is a receiver that can hear the other aircraft and display their position and direction relative to your position and direction -- easily done since the GPS coordinates are part of the packet. There are no altitude constraints, or geography constraints. The only requirement is that you can hear the other's ADS-B transmission.

I don't know of any "IN" systems that are "certified". Certified for what? You aren't using the information for navigation, only for situational awareness. If you can't get your ATC to call out the conflicts, this seems to me to be a good backup plan. If your VFR potential conflicts don't have ADS-B, this won't help. But my understanding is that all of your IFR traffic has ADS-B. Of course, you are welcome to ignore the information.