PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down
Old 7th Jun 2020, 02:12
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that pretty much all the ADS-B in traffic solutions are UNCERTIFIED. That is, they are not legal for use in IFR - or situations such as this accident.

As i understand it, unlike the USA, Australia elected the ADS-B out only system. The proper certified ADS-B in and out system would require AsA to invest in a network of transmitters.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that the traffic display via the 4G network offered by AvPlan & Ozrunways is not a good thing. As is the Stratux reciever, the Stratus receiver, The Dual XGPS190, Sage clarity, Dynon DRX, etc. These systems work relatively well in VFR type situations at low level and in 4G areas, but at higher altitudes, remote areas, congested areas and outside 4G areas they cannot be relied upon at all.

But none of these systems are a) fully reliable or b) part of the Government designed airways system. In the wake of this accident we, as IFR pilots need to do 2 things:
1. Learn what we can from the accident and figure out how to stay safe in an imperfect airways system and an imperfect AsA system and
2. Keep the pressure on AsA to fix its problem areas.

I don't like the notion that if we all just connect a a Stratux receiver to our iPads or an uncertified Dynon display that the problem goes away. we deserve a more robust system that has AsA sanction.