PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autothrottles departure to a low altitude operation.
Old 6th Jun 2020, 23:25
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monty Niveau
Given the powerful thrust/pitch couple on many types, and the restriction on, eg, 737, on autopilot engagement (not below 1,000 ft), my preference is to use A/T to set thrust on the takeoff roll, and at 400 ft, LNAV, A/T disconnect, select about 70% N1 (depending on weight) and fly the aircraft to 1,500 ft like a PA28. ALT ACQ will take care of the level-off so far as the flight director guidance is concerned, and you’ll be left in MCP SPD / ALT HLD / LNAV / FD, from which autopilot engagement is comfortable for man and machine. I’m fortunate not to fly for operators who restrict manual and raw data flight and I can see that this would be a struggle for pilots whose skills have atrophied.

Another option, which I exercise when possible, is simply to ask ATC for a higher altitude. Often, this will be approved, and the threat has been mitigated.
Ist that a new one? When i was flying the 737 it was 400ft for the Autopilot after departure. 100ft now for the Bus, but i am rarely that lazy.

FCOM limitations excerpt