PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Degree for entry level pilots (opinion needed)
Old 6th Jun 2020, 22:35
Arthur Den

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Aviation Degree for entry level pilots (opinion needed)

Hi & thanks for visiting.

I am originally from Russia and now working as a Cabin Crew in the Middle East for some years.

Now, all these years I had been saving up for my flight training in South Africa (guess the best I can afford at the moment).
Since the situation with covid19 started I had to re-consider my training and future employment opportunities, as the job market will soon be over crowded by experienced pilots.

My options shrinked down to working for some local Russian airline (turbo-props, single engines and so on). Vacancies are all out there, pilots are still in shortage and the license validation process is straightforward and easy, BUT
the VAST MAJORITY of these airlines (including regional & majors) DO REQUIRE a FULL TIME AVIATION DEGREE.

Before joining as Cabin Crew, I got my Bachelor's in Tourism Management and I never heard of such requirement in the Middle East to hold "an aviation degree".

My question is: how common is it for the airlines to require such degree. If you are an active pilot, may I know if you have got one and whether it was a requirement at where you work.

Thank you in advance & any advice apperiated.
Cheers