PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Question for the Met' Men
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2020, 14:15
langleybaston

Received 669 Likes on 240 Posts
Missed the boat with the situation described.
My seaweed is long shrivelled, my crystal balls have dropped off, and the fir cones have fircked off.

I do, however, have a question for the erstwhile clients. Several books read recently on Gulf War One, including one by the SAS RSM, stress the bitter night cold and generally nasty weather, and further stress total unpreparedness in that regard. Clothing totally inadequate. The cold was unbriefed, seemingly.

At the time I was CMetO BFG, with massive Tornado deployment to the Gulf under consideration. Similarly, 1 BR Corps was organising for war. S Met O 1 BR Corps briefed G OC and his staff on the climatology and warned the region was not all bondhu boots and brown knees. He sent his material to me in time for the Heads of Branch RAFG brief, and I warned and briefed the Air Staff similarly. This was part of what the US call Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield. There was some surprise and scepticism when I sat down. The brief was then sent to S Met Os Laarbruch, Bruggen, Wildenrath and Gutersloh.

My question is: did the RAF in theatre feel unprepared for the climate, and, if so, whose fault was it?

Boring enough?