PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2020, 02:06
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The biggest problem Crosscutter, is we simply can't do anything "by fleet". Air NZ is ruled by Seniority and the only way around it is either by agreement or legal challenge... sadly, I worry me might force ourselves down the latter path if/when all the Senior Pilots sit arms folded when Foran asks 777 Pilots to take LWOP or Part-time.

Because of how our CEA works, a senior Pilot on the 777 can sit at home doing nothing and demand to be moved to a fleet that is flying in order to retain their paycheque. This is essentially the notional process, and under normal circumstances it works. But there's nothing "normal" about COVID. I'd say Air NZ has chopped about as much off the bottom as they can without facing the "double training" problem.. that is, a senior Pilot gets down-trained to the A320 for 6-12 months then re-trained back to where they were when the Redundant Pilots are recalled.

Based on the current number of redundancies, I cannot see the above occuring anytime in the next 2-3 years. If they take another cut however, a lot of down-training movements will be temporary.

I'm all but certain Foran will propose 777 Pilots (in particular but not exclusively) accept LWOP or maybe 50% Pay for the next 3-6 months. If that is refused on the basis of "Mah Contract!" then he will be left with only 2 options. More Redundancies or a Legal Challenge against Seniority... both come with additional costs and logistical problems, but if there were ever a time to successfully challenge the "Iron Clad" Seniority clauses in our CEA, it's now. I hope my colleagues can see that and don't force his hand. The "survive" phase is only for the next 3 months. I hope we don't see permanent damage to our CEA for the sake of 3 months sacrifice.