PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flown a Taildragger
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2020, 18:07
lederhosen

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I went solo on a Rollason Condor (ancient taildragger even in the seventies) and did my GFT a small number of hours later on a C152 (when the Condor broke down) which was probably much simpler than the other way around. Bit like going from Boeing to Airbus as I discovered a few decades later. Doing a silver C conversion from gliders was an easier route then and required if I remember correctly eight hours. The owners of the flight school at Sherburn were away on holiday the two weeks this took me with the help of the very competent ex Nimrod CFI of the London University air squadron (who was standing in). They were a bit surprised when I showed up the next week with my licence, which I got over the counter at the CAA in Kingsway on the Friday of week two. I had spent most of the summer instructing at Bicester and flying the Falke motor glider, so it was not down to any unusual ability, just luck and a lack of bureaucracy. The current route from gliding licence via motor glider to UL/LAPL is a welcome move back in this direction.