PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2020, 13:51
BigDoris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedDragonFlyer
There is very genuine concern that there are a lot of false negatives reported when people self-administer the swab.

When the swab is placed up the nose, it must be placed quite deeply to the point where the person feels very uncomfortable and starts to tear-up.

When people self-administer, they tend to not place it far enough up the nose.

It seems IAG is considering challenging the quarantine. Any legal eagles have any idea how that will go or is it just noise?
https://news.sky.com/story/iag-chief...uture-12000804
True but in the absence of rising hospital admissions and deaths that either supports the theory that in the case of up to 20% false negatives:

a) most suffer mildly or not at all
b) suggests we should expect an increase in hospital admissions and deaths through unreported cases and spreading.

So far the data points to the former. I would also argue, in agreement with your point on the false negatives, that the we need to stop with these home testing kits, certainly at the current level and think about how else to give those people access to testing rather than using it to help the governments targets.

As for BA, I'm surprised no business (aviation or not) has publicly considered this already. Can't see it going anywhere but worth a punt I suppose.