PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expats back to Asia?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2020, 10:08
j.nips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skippy69
G'day,
What are the opinions of those of you who are preferably Aussies and us ever going back to Asia to work as a collective? Meaning, that I haven't worked there before but it does interest me? Also, how the bloody hell do you get over there initially with the job and all? Where you all working here for Virgin or Qantas/ Jetstar before making the lucrative move? I was a GA junkie, then made a move to the States, thats all fallen apart so exploring alternative paths.
Most of Asian operators require thousands of hours on jet with at least 1500 as PIC. Majority of them also require a type rating and there are only a few offering (well this is all before covid19) FO positions.

Collective agreement for expats is non existent as far as i know. We are (well we were) a necessity for their expansion. I don't know of any operator jumping for joy to have expats: we are expensive, we want to commute, we need to convert our licenses, need work visas, etc. Locals are cheaper and well, they are locals. They are just not available in numbers required, for now, or until now.