PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2020, 19:42
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by homebuilt
Yep, I may have missed your point, because I’ve no example in my mind of any other approach so badly managed, nor in Europe, nor anywhere else in the world.
I'd say Air India Express 812 at Mangalore in 2010 is a similar South Asia Darwin Award contender.

On 22 May 2010, a Boeing 737-800 passenger jet operating Air India Express Flight 812 from Dubai to Mangalore, India, crashed on landing at Mangalore. The captain had continued an unstabilized approach, despite three calls from the First Officer to "go around", resulting in the aircraft overshooting the runway, falling down a hillside and bursting into flames. Of the 160 passengers and six crew members on board, 158 were killed (all crew members and 152 passengers) and only eight passengers survived.

...For 110 minutes the CVR had picked up no conversation from the pilots, with the report adding that the sound of nasal snoring and deep breathing could be heard during this recording. The FDR analysis indicated that the flight started its final descent at an altitude of 4,400 feet (1,300 m), instead of the normal 2,000 feet (610 m). The aircraft also touched down at the 4,638-foot (1,414 m) mark on the runway instead of the 1,000-foot (300 m) mark, whereupon the pilot then tried to take off with just 800 feet (240 m) of the runway remaining, which resulted in the crash. Both pilots had been aware of the wrong flight path since they are both heard saying "Flight is taking wrong path and wrong side", while the aircraft's instruments had given repeated warnings of this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_In...ess_Flight_812