PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video to Airservices Chairman John Weber
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2020, 06:22
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Vag277, you seem to be rewriting history here. I was appointed to the CAA Board in July 1988 then appointed as the Chairman for two years from 20 February 1990, finishing my term on 19 February 1992.

I worked on airspace the whole time I was on the Board, including as Chairman. The first stage of AMATS, including the ICAO cruising levels and the removal of full position reporting, came in on 12 December 1991. In June 1993, IFR to IFR separation was supposed to be provided in low level airspace (that is, Class E) but it never happened.

Yes, I did stop the changed AMATS, when Buck Brooksbank decided to remove the directed traffic service from Class G airspace and not put in any low level Class E. From that day, I have been attempting to get back to the original AMATS plan – which was following the most proven airspace system in the world.

Here is a link to the yellow booklet which explains the dates. Note that on 12 December 1991, “Full reporting will no longer be available to VFR flights.” It also created CTAFs for the first time.

Daringly, it stated, “Where suitable communication facilities exist, clearance will be passed direct to pilots by ATC.” Wow! What an amazing change!

Note that this was the start of the use of ICAO airspace classifications.

I think I was somehow a little involved.