PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 02:46
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
ASRAAMTOO

Agreed, but he/she wouldn't need to come up with a way. It's a job for one of his/her most junior staff, who 'simply' had to follow the regs, which is all Aerobility and Grob will be doing now. But as time passed, and more and more senior people failed, it would have been embarrassing to admit this, so my guess is it was never attempted in any serious way.

The contractual relationship (if any) between Grob and MoD is key. Grob own the IPR and hold the Master Drawing Set. Therefore, if they were not contracted direct to be the Design Authority, then whoever did the job could only be the Design Custodian (with limited authority and role), and only then if MoD directed a sub-contract on Grob to provide a set of Secondary Masters, and maintain them through a support agreement. In such cases, if the DA is deemed a suitable company to design, build and supply the aircraft in the first place, one might ask why bother with a Custodian... Either MoD didn't want to use Grob, or Grob didn't want the job. But either way, they still needed to be contracted, for (ultimately) Safety Case reasons. Therein lies a primary root cause. That's why I mention the only Def Stan that has ever set out the detailed procedures for doing this work. It's the Bible, and anyone in MoD involved in this area should know it backwards, long before they ever get promoted into a project team. Until 1992, everyone who did this stuff received a personal maintained copy (i.e. you were named in the Amendment List distribution). That may be unique in MoD, and is indicative of how important it all was.