PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 21:43
InZed

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crosscutter
I agree. Air NZ has for the last decade been a nimble, creative and flexible example of excellence. I can only assume there is a reason why something like leave without pay wasn’t implemented. Considering the international recovery is going to be slow, you can’t help think they’ve missed a trick here.
The international recovery is going to be extremely slow... Especially as seen with North America + Europe literally giving up on containment and reopening borders. USA and Europe still has widespread community transmission and no sign of that rectifying any time soon with the riots. I doubt NZ will have any form of North America passenger service even in 12 months.

Except there are some glimmers of hope that NZ could launch back into PVG/TPE first. Taiwan has had 3 new cases in roughly a month (similar to NZ/AU numbers and the much hyped 'Tasman Bubble'). Could we see PVG/TPE entering this bubble in the coming months? Australia released estimated dates that show the Tasman bubble reopening in one month, if that works well, there's no reason NZ couldn't launch daily PVG/TPE and drive international demand.

Speaking for myself on this one, as soon as they launch a new international destination, I want to be on that first plane for a holiday. I have AirNZ$$ (they kindly credited me ) so have to spend ASAP, otherwise it's going to be a lot of NPE returns to use it all up.

Originally Posted by Lepper Messiah
I wasn't told that. Nothing like it
VANZ were told that immediate LWOP may save the NZ operation. It did not.

Additionally, Air NZ Link pilots were told last week that forward bookings are better than expected and the schedule requires all 'hibernation' crew to be brought out and utilised. They had excess crew and could not keep everyone current, so some went into hibernation. Friends that work the Milford flights said that they're really busy and that NZMF airport was full over the weekend with Kiwi Tourists. Makes you wonder if the Air NZ Link redundancies will be brought back this side of Christmas.

And if demand really continues with domestic tourism increases so much, it makes you wonder whether some furloughed Jet guys might be offered contracts to help out the Links.